Monday, April 6, 2009

Acupunture & IVF

After reading many things on Soulcysters (SC) I decided I would start investigating acupuncture for myself. I've never had to done and I don't know anyone personally who has. From what I've read on SC and on the Internet it's been known to increase the success rates with infertility especially in IVF. It's also been know (with time) to regulate a woman's menstrual cycle who has PCOS. AMAZING I thought! I looked on my insurance website and found that I have a wellness program with my plan and although it's not covered there are participating therapists that offer a discount.

I found out from RSI that a lot of patients do get acupuncture and a lot of people have a session right before the transfer. It's said to relax the uterus therefore increases the implantation rate ending in a positive pregnancy.

I found a therapist that is in Wayne, PA and is 5 min. from RSI (the Wayne office is where I will have the retrieval & transfer) and it's 20 min. from my office.

I went to my first appointment on Wednesday, April 1st...it was interesting to say the least. I'm not sure what I think about it. I have a VERY hard time relaxing at anytime of my life let alone, 2 meds that have my hormones running wild, I was on-call for work, and the thought that it's really here. When Peyton said to me to just relax and rest my mind I thought it would be easy. She placed 13 needles at different points on my body and they were determined by my tongue & my pulse. 1 on my forehead, 1 in each ear, 4 on my stomach, 1 in each hand & 2 on each leg. She handed me a buzzer & said relax i'll be back in 25 min. 25 min...you want me to lay here for 25 min. I wanted a massage or something not just to lay there alone with needles in the body! I will say that I was able to fall asleep after I told myself there was nothing I could and I wasn't going to get off that table with needles sticking out of me.

She returned in what seemed like 45 min. and did some "Asian bodywork." NO CLUE for 5 mins. on my legs and that was that. I do have to say that I could feel my blood flowing a bit and had like a tingling feeling (not bad rather good) at some of the needle points!

I go back this coming Wed. April 8th for 2nd treatment....I'll be sure to share that experience as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment